Why Salivary hormone testing?
The benefits of Saliva hormone testing:
All major hormones can be readily detected and measured from a person’s saliva.
- One of the profound advantages with saliva testing is that the saliva producing cells allow ONLY unbound hormones into the salivary ducts. Therefore, saliva testing is an effective way to look at active hormone levels.
- Laboratory analysis of saliva has become scientifically accepted and an excellent alternative to serum (blood) testing. It is the only way to reasonably capture your hormonal fluctuations over a certain time period.
For example, testing cortisol (the hormone released from stress), if measured only once in the day will only capture what is happening at that moment. Whereas, with saliva testing, due to the convenience of being able to collect the sample yourself, you can collect 4 samples over the day which then gives you a better insight as to how your body is reacting over the day.
A picture tells a thousand words.
It is Non-Invasive – No blood draw is needed, no need to visit a Pathology Lab
It is Convenient – You can easily collect your own samples at home or at work at any time of the day
- Saliva measures the active part of hormones.
- Since hormone levels may vary during the day or during the month, multiple specimens can be collected conveniently offering precise measurement giving a much more accurate reading of what is really happening in your body in real time
- Samples are stable for several weeks